10th January 2011
ASUS To Showcase Classroom Innovation Award Winners and New Tablet Computers at BETT Show 2011
After winning a record number of innovation awards at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last week, ASUS will be demonstrating a number of their latest handheld tablet devices at the BETT show. In addition, the stand will feature presentations from finalists of the Classroom Innovation Awards, with the winning schools being announced on Saturday.
Venue: ASUS Stand K29, National Hall, London Olympia
Timing: Wednesday 12th to Saturday 15th January 2011
Products on show will include the highly anticipated Eee Slate EP121, Eee Pad Slider and Eee Pad Transformer.
Visitors to ASUS will also be able to cast their votes and help select the two winners of the Classroom Innovation Awards.
Classroom Innovation Awards at BETT:
Classroom Innovation is EducationGuardian’s ICT community hub for schools in association with ASUS. The Classroom Innovation Awards, launched in November 2010, invited schools to submit a short video demonstrating innovative uses of technology both in and outside the classroom.
Attracting some outstanding entries, the awards demonstrate that teachers across the UK are creatively and innovatively using technology with their pupils. There was a superb response with around 2000 voters, and the six finalists are:
Primary School category:
* St Mary’s Catholic Primary School: Year 5 pupils linked up to exchange information and become friends with schoolchildren in Germany
* St Thomas RC Primary School: Demonstrated how they have used technology to promote pupil engage and understanding
* West Dean CE Primary School: have been creating international connections with technology
Secondary School category:
* King Edward VI: shows students working together to allow everyone’s opinion and voice to be heard to create positive change
* Croesyceiliog: Demonstrate Year 10 Classes’ creative approach into the broadcast of their own electromagnetic spectrum show
* Clevedon School: the first school to use 3D printers in design and technology with a video showing the results
The 6 finalist schools above have been invited to present their pioneering uses of technology on the ASUS stand at BETT on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Content included augmented reality using handheld devices, learning how to use spreadsheets through dance, singing as a revision aid and even 3D printing.
Videos from schools shortlisted for the awards can be found at: www.guardian.co.uk/classroom-innovation
Final votes will be gathered at the ASUS stand during the BETT show, where visitors can hear presentations and choose their favourite – with the winner being announced on Saturday 15th January at the BETT show and via ASUS and the Classroom Innovation portal from 17th January.
The winning primary and secondary schools will each receive £7,500 worth of ASUS kit for their school, and everyone who votes will be in with a chance of winning one of two copies of Microsoft Office 2010 Professional.
ASUS Product Showcase including new Tablets at BETT:
ASUS were excited to announce the latest range of tablet computers at the Consumer Electronics Show this month. Three of the new Eee Tablet family range will be on show at BETT, including:
* Eee Slate EP121 – With a 12.1” multi-touch screen and Intel® Core™ i5 processor technology running on Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium, the EP121 is the most powerful tablet available, allowing users to run a variety of desktop applications on the 64GB SSD drive.
* Eee Pad Transformer - Shipping with Android® 3.0, the Transformer boasts NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 mobile processor technology and a 10.1” IPS touch screen. It offers a docking option that incorporates a full QWERTY keyboard whilst serving as a battery extension station to deliver up to 16 hours of non-stop desktop computing.
* Eee Pad Slider – Like the Transformer this comes with NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2, Android® 3.0 and a 10.1” IPS touch screen. It features a nifty sliding keyboard, ideal for users who seek even greater portability alongside a superb battery life.
ASUS will have a full range of laptops and netbooks on display, including the latest Pro Series laptops featuring a docking station, Intel anti-theft data protection, Shockshield anti-shock hard drive and 90-minute 90% fast-charge technology, together with the latest Eee PC netbooks - already famous for revolutionising the PC industry and making work and play more fun, accessible and productive for students and teachers across the education sector.
ASUS will also be giving away an Eee PC Netbook each day to one lucky winner who visits their stand. Simply visit ASUS on stand K29 to enter.
ASUS, the world’s top 3 consumer notebook vendor and the maker of the world’s best selling and most award winning motherboards, is a leading enterprise in the new digital era.
ASUS designs and manufactures products that perfectly meet the needs of today's digital home, office and person, with a broad portfolio that includes motherboards, graphics cards, displays, desktop PCs, notebooks, netbooks, servers, multimedia, wireless solutions, networking devices and mobile phones.
Driven by innovation and committed to quality, ASUS won 3,268 awards in 2009, and is widely credited with revolutionizing the PC industry with the Eee PC™. With a global staff of more than ten thousand people and a world-class R&D team of 3,000 engineers, the company's revenue for 2009 was US$7.5 billion.