Corsair Flash Padlock 2 Security Announcement
June 30, 2010 // 8:46 a.m.
FREMONT, California — June 28, 2010 — Corsair®, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced the discovery of a security issue affecting the Flash Padlock® 2 USB Flash Drive that may expose your data. The Padlock drive employs a keypad to allow users to protect their data with a programmable personal identification number, or PIN. The security issue is correctable by the user, and once the corrective action is taken by the user, the drive once again meets its security specification.
Instructions for correcting the security issue are as follows, and can also be found at corsair.com/padlockupdate. Please note that this procedure must be followed in its entirety to ensure the security of the drive. Also note that while the procedure is NOT destructive, we recommend that you back up your data prior to proceeding.
1. Drive must be in a LOCKED state. If the drive is plugged into a system, remove it.
2. Press and hold the KEY button and the 0/1 button down, simultaneously, for five or more seconds.
3. Release the KEY and 0/1 buttons. Note that at this stage your password MAY have been erased, but data will still exist on the drive.
4. Wait until any LEDs are no longer illuminated or blinking
5. Press and hold the KEY button for three seconds. Both red and green LEDs will illuminate
6. Enter a new PIN using the PIN keys. A user PIN may be 4 to 10 digits long; for security, Corsair recommends 6 digits or more.
7. Press and release the KEY button. Both red and green LEDs will blink in unison.
8. Re-enter your PIN to confirm.
9. Press and release the Key button. Green LED will flash, indicating your PIN has been accepted.
10. Your drive is now secure.
Assistance is available by contacting Corsair Technical Support. Technical Support can be reached via telephone, by email, or by accessing Corsair’s interactive helpdesk at corsair.com/helpdesk. Complete contact information for Corsair can be found at corsair.com/contact/.
Founded in 1994, Corsair supplies high performance products purchased primarily by PC gaming enthusiasts who build their own PCs or buy pre-assembled customized systems. The company's award-winning products include DRAM memory modules, USB flash drives, power supply units, solid-state drives, cooling systems and computer cases.
Copyright© 2010 Corsair. All rights reserved. All company and/or product names may be trade names, trademarks, and/or registered trademarks of the respective owners with which they are associated. Features, pricing, availability, and specifications are subject to change without notice.