Synology has announced its new dual-bay budget NAS enclosure - the DS216j
The new NAS uses a Marvell Armada 385 88F6820 dual-core 1.0GHz CPU along with 512MB DDR3 memory and supports either 3.5in or 2.5in hard disks up to 8TB in capacity (total capacity 16TB).
These are similar specifications to its predecessor, the DS215j, which used a slightly slower Marvell Armada 375 88F6720 800MHz dual-core CPU, but also had 512MB DDR3 memory. However, the DS216j now sports an extra USB 3 port.
The DS216j has claimed read and write speeds that are faster too. 112.75MB/sec and 97.6MB/sec respectively compare to 111.41MB/sec and 87.49MB/sec for the older unit. You can also adjust the brightness on the front LEDs to one of four levels or according to a schedule.
The DS216j is slated to retail for £126 inc VAT/ €145 ex VAT
From the press release:
Synology DS216j is a 2-bay, dual-core CPU NAS specifically designed for home and personal users, standing out to be one of the best values in 2-bay NAS servers available today. DS216j delivers over 112.75 MB/s reading and 97.6 MB/s writing under RAID1 configuration in a Windows® environment.1 Equipped with hardware encryption engine, DS216j offloads the encryption calculation tasks from the main CPU.
The dual USB 3.0 ports provide transfer rates 10 times higher than USB 2.0. DS216j comes with the front LED indicators allowing adjustable brightness to 4 levels; the brightness can be automatically changed on a customized schedule. Powerful yet efficient, the low power consumption of 14.85 watts during access and 6.95 watts during hibernation makes DS216j an eco-friendly NAS, reducing the operating expense. Running on Synology DiskStation Manager, DS216j delivers an abundance of feature-rich applications, making your daily life more convenient than ever.
- DS216j is one of the new models adopting the Marvell Armada 38x CPU solution, equipped with Armada 385 Dual Core 1.0GHz CPU and 512 MB DDR3 memory.
- DS216j provides an outstanding read/write performance of 112.75 MB/s in reading and over 97.6 MB/s in writing.
- Dual USB 3.0 ports are supported on the rear panel, providing high-speed transmission to external USB devices.
- With adjustable LED indicators function, DS216j can allow users to control the front LEDs based on its four-stage brightness setting and a customised schedule can be set on demand.
- The DS216j is focused on home and personal use, allowing users to easily build up their own personal cloud or served as their centralised multimedia server effortlessly.
- DS216j is backed with Synology's 2-year limited warranty.