NVIDIA will continue to dominate the high-end

Written by Tim Smalley

August 2, 2005 // 2:30 p.m.

Tags: #crossfire #domination #geforce #geforce-7800 #geforce-7800-gt #geforce-7800-gtx #high-end #mercury-research #r520

Companies: #ati #nvidia

After the successful launch of the GeForce 7800 GTX on June 22nd we have been expecting some kind of response from ATI in an attempt to compete with, or even surpass the performance of NVIDIA's current flagship part.

Along with ATI's CrossFire technology, which we previewed at the start of June, there is the next-generation R520 chip - currently hampered with delays that are believed to be yield related.

Unfortunately, there is still no confirmed launch date for either product, and it is going to remain that way for some time, too. This means that GeForce 7800 GTX is likely to be left untouched at the top of the tree for the majority of the second half of this year.

The data released by Mercury Research last week suggests that NVIDIA grabbed a massive 73% of the high-end DirectX 9.0 GPU market, while ATI holds the remaining 27%. Despite this, ATI holds a 54% share of the mainstream DirectX 9.0 GPU market compared to NVIDIA's 46%.

It looks likely that NVIDIA may well increase their dominance in the high-end with new additions to the GeForce 7800-series scheduled for hard-launch later this month. Unfortunately for ATI, they have been pressured in to hard launching both CrossFire and R520, further delaying ATI's ability to remain competitive in the high-end.

Thinking about upgrading your video card in the next few months? There isn't much choice at the moment, but let us know your thoughts.
Discuss this in the forums

QUICK COMMENT

Week in review

WEEK IN REVIEW

TOP STORIES

SUGGESTED FOR YOU