The Landing Bay
First order of business was to disassemble the case down to its bare essentials and start at the frame. After this it was off to the garage (mod workshop) to start work on the most complex part of the mod, the landing bay. Since there were no scale models available of the Galactica, I had to start from scratch, only going off of a few reference photos I had found online.
After taking some measurements, I glued to pieces of foam insulation together, and started carving it into the landing bay shape. An electric carving knife came in real handy here (don’t tell the wife!).
Once I got the shape I wanted, I coated it with a two-part plastic resin called Plasti-Paste. With only a ten minute set-up time, I had to work in small sections until the whole thing was covered. Then I sanded it down to a smooth finish, adding Bondo here and there to fill in the lower areas. Using a hack-saw blade, I carefully removed the foam from the plastic shell to be re-used for the side skirts.
After they fully hardened, they were joined to the main shell with more Plasti-Paste. Some acrylic gussets were added for strength, followed by more sanding and Bondo.
Test fitting it to the Stacker it sits on top perfectly, and although it looks a little strange and plain now, once smooth, I could then start adding all the detail pieces: some ribs and small plastic parts glued to the surface to give it an authentic look.