Here we have the three primary materials for this build: 3mm frosted red plexi, 5mm transparent plexi and the dark layer is window tinting film. I also used a 4mm aluminium sheet and some aluminium profiles.
I must confess that this project got me going like nothing else. Unfortunately I let my enthusiasm get ahead of me and sadly I forgot to take photos of the very first stages of this project. On the plus side all was all just basic cutting of plexi so you aren't missing that
The first thing to do was to send the sheets of red plexi and the designs to Sleepstreamer to have them machined into Puzzlebox patterns. Here you can see the artwork - an exact replica from the films.
It's a shame Max lives nearly 200km away - I would have loved to just pop round his place and witnessed the CNC milling myself. Anyway, a few days later a package arrived containing six amazing new panels - two of each design. This is the wonderful thing about CNC - the end result is exactly how it was originally designed.
So far all I had was the equivalent of flat-pack furniture. Keep the Ikea jokes to yourself please. The first step was to assemble the basic cube shape. To hold the panels in place I used brass pins and a small cube of plexi in each corner, eight in total.