Kit: 2 x 240-pin DDR2 Double Sided DIMM
Module Size: 4GB Dual Channel Kit (2 x 2GB)
Module Code: F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B
Rated Speed: 800MHz
Rated Timings: 4-4-4-12
Rated Voltage: 1.8-1.9V
Memory Chips: ?
Even after much prodding G.Skill refused to tell us what memory chips were being used so we ended up gently prising the heatspreaders off to see for ourselves. G.Skill continually refuses to tell us and its customers what memory chips are used, which is frustrating but understandable given the considerable competition and only half a dozen IC manufacturers to choose from could easily lead to its competition copying it should it have a particularly good product.
Click to enlarge
However as an enthusiast looking to maximise his overclock, without knowing what IC is used we can't easily find the optimal voltage (Micron is higher than Promos for example) and read insights into what others are getting from similar ICs. It also means we can't easily search for the best value products with particular ICs in them for those that remember the crazy days of BH-5 or TCCD to name a few.
What memory chips does G.Skill use?! Your guess is as good as ours. Click to enlarge
We attempted to keep a consistent CPU speed through testing to try to limit the difference in CPU performance over small memory changes. However due to limitations in performance profiles and what chipsets and systems can do at the very high end, we applied a closest fit where necessary.
Memory Speeds Tested
G.Skill Pi-Black Series 4GB 800MHz
- PC2-8,00MHz (rated latency: 4-4-4-12-2T, 1.9V, 400MHz x 7.5 - 3.0GHz)
- PC2-1,015MHz (highest overclock: 5-5-5-15-2T, 2.1V, 406MHz x 7.5 - 3.05GHz)
- PC2-920MHz (highest overclock for stable gaming: 5-5-5-15-2T, 368MHz x 8.5 - 3.13GHz)
Other Standard Memory Speeds:
- PC2-800MHz (5-5-5-15-2T 1.8V, 400MHz x 7.5 - 3.0GHz)
- PC2-1,066MHz (5-5-5-15-2T 2.1-2.2V 400MHz x 7.5 - 3GHz)
- Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R (F10 BIOS)
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
- Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1
- Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA Hard drive
- Corsair TX750W PSU
- Nvidia nForce 177.83 WHQL